The Vegetable Research & Innovation (V R & I) Board was established in 2006. The other funding and contributing groups are Vegetables NZ Inc, Tomatoes NZ, Process Vegetables NZ, Onions New Zealand Inc and NZ Buttercup Squash Council. The V R & I Board chair position will be filled shortly following the resignation of Chair, Dr Stuart Davis in June 2018; the administration duties are managed by Dr Sally Anderson (Market Access Solutionz).
The V R & I Board has delegated responsibility from the product groups to:
- Grow the focus on strategic R&I across the vegetable product groups.
- Recommend an R&I strategy, and from this an investment portfolio across the vegetable product groups.
- Coordinate the operation of this collective portfolio with key research providers.
- Develop and coordinate proposals with key investment agencies to grow strategic investment into vegetable R&I.
- Communicate vegetable industry R&I strategies and outcomes to key industry stakeholders.
- Manage the vegetable R&I portfolio for the achievement of outcomes desired by growers.
- Coordinate with other related portfolios, especially those product groups within Horticulture NZ and the wider horticulture industry.
The V R & I Board does not make decisions on investment in individual projects by the vegetable product groups. Product groups retain the right to make their own funding decisions via their R&D Committees but the goal is to develop a more strategic approach to this investment by incorporating the advice of the V R & I Board and Manager.